Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Midwifery School Check in

Welcome to my last year of Midwifery school




In the present moment

I am 22 births & 45 units away from completing my midwifery program. For the past 2 months, I have been transitioning from my role as a a junior student to being the primary midwife under supervision (senior student).

What is the role of the primary midwife under supervision? I get to midwife all the client’s in our practice, catch babies, provide prenatal care, well woman (person) gynecological  as well as postpartum care. On top of all of this, I am responsible for all the paperwork that comes with being a midwife, my least favorite part, but it does feel nice to have the responsibility as a hungry and eager student midwife. All under supervision of my preceptors of course.This is my final stretch before preparing to sit for my NARM ( North American Registry of Midwives) exam, which qualifies me for my licensure with the Medical Board of California.




The past two years

I have had the privilege of working with 6 midwives, in 3 unique midwifery practices. I’ve traveled to all directions in LA and surrounding neighborhoods and worked with a broad spectrum of families. All while, simultaneously working as a doula & wellness promotora. I have fallen in and out of love and learned the value of sacred partnerships. My definition of Love has evolved & grown so much.  Healing, healing & more healing! I have been able to heal from generational trauma. Spirit guided me to move into my own sanctuary in the hills of Happy Valley. I let go of the stability that came with working at the nonprofit sector. Learning to have an appreciation for sleep and self care has been invaluable. let’s see what else?

 I have grown closer to creator.This rigorous program has put me on my knees. Surrendering to the unknown has been challenging at times. Letting go of that which I have no control over has been a blessing in disguise. Learning to be vulnerable has not been easy. I have realized how much help I need and how much support I already have. My limiting beliefs have come to surface asking me to heal from them. Midwifery school is expensive & if it wasn't for creator & community support, I don’t know how I would get by.  I’ve never cried so much in life like I have been in the past two years. Crying out of love, fear, injustice and joy. Crying my butt to sleep because sometimes birth ain’t pretty & I've witnessed near death experiences for both mom and baby.I am currently being stretched in multiple directions, the burning sensation feels so good. This sensation is allowing me to feel and to come back to my body.Becoming sensitized, embracing compassion,  dancing with my femininity & masculinity, embodying empathy, opening up my heart and truly loving without any walls are all lessons I am mastering. I am completely naked, raw, I feel exposed & have discovered that underneath all these layers that I have let go off, I shine so bright. My journey to midwifery is a story of resilience, love, humility & deeply rooted ancestral medicine.

I am PREGNANT!

“ I am pregnant” says my client. I’m looking forward to hearing this statement more often.lol! I bet most of you thought I was pregnant. Just to let you know, that’s not happening anytime soon. However,the plan is to complete my midwifery program in 9 moon cycles, that’s 252 days, and 3 seasons. I have been working really hard to complete my academic portion of the program by completing 20 units per quarter. My clinical portion of the program will also be completed at the same time. Stay tuned! There will be plenty of opportunities for you to see me in action as I grow into my role as a licensed midwife.

One of the perks is being able to organize well woman (person) clinic days, where folks can receive gynecological care/education including pelvic & breast exams. After I complete my program, I will go on a hiatus to study for my NARM. Please keep me in your prayers! Midwifery is my way of life now. Everyday I’m being asked to step into my role as a midwife. This also means shedding skin and letting go of my role as a doula. I am asking for your support to help me complete my program.

Support  a women's-led conscious business:

 My doula & wellness practice sustains me in my midwifery program and in life. Unfortunately, there is no financial aid for my midwifery education. I am very grateful for all my clients who seek me out to support their journey; the fair exchange to this is that they help to pay for my tuition & personal expenses. Here are some ways that you can contribute to the development of a community Midwife:
  • Promoting my services to all your networks
  • Hiring me to support your childbearing & wellness journey
  • Some of my services include: birth/postpartum doula, placenta encapsulation, reiki, childbirth education, wellness consults, belly binding, health classes,  traditional postpartum ceremony, doula mentorship, ect.
  • Have I already supported you? If you feel motivated to do so please consider writing a review on my website, Facebook, or Yelp. (links below)
  • Hugs always help!
  • Check in's are always welcomed


steths.jpg


Mil Gracias! Tlazokamati! Thank you!

-Maria Teresa

Yelp: Womyns Medicine
IG: Womyns_Medicine

* Pictures posted with permission 

No comments:

Post a Comment